1. What is the overall objective of the European Health Parliament?
The 5 initiating partners aspire to create & facilitate an idea-generating platform with 55 young professionals and students who want to help shape the outlook of future European healthcare. The 55 participants will form a European Health Parliament (EHP) and formulate innovative ideas for making Europe a healthier place and reshaping the European healthcare system. The ideas will be shared with policy makers and the healthcare community across the EU Member States.
2. Who can participate?
We are looking for enthusiastic young thinkers with an ambition to co-shape future Europe and to co-author policy recommendations. Participants need to be below 35 years old (born after 1/1/1980), hold at least a Bachelor degree and be based in the Brussels area. Prior experience or background in healthcare is not required.
3. What are the timelines?
This 1st European Health Parliament will start in December 2015 and conclude its work in June 2016.
Candidates can apply till 16 October 2015. The Steering Committee, consisting of the 5 initiating partners, will select 55 participants, based on pre-set eligibility criteria, by end October 2015.
4 Plenary sessions (1 day meeting) have been scheduled in the course of the program. They will take place in the Brussels area on the following dates:
- December 9th 2015 (Opening Session)
- February 17th 2016
- week 11-16 April 2016
- week 13-17 June 2016 (Closing Session)
Participants' availability is required at all Plenary Sessions.
4. How will the European Health Parliament work in practice?
Prior to the 1st Plenary Session, the selected candidates receive a list of 5 themes/topics by email and are asked to indicate their preferences. The Steering Committee divides the participants into 5 Committees according to their preferences:
- digital skills for the medical profession
- prevention and self-care
- anti-microbial resistance
- climate change and healthcare
- migration and health challenges
At the 1st Plenary Session on 9 December 2015:
- the participants elect their own EHP Chairperson;
- each Committee will elect a Committee Chairperson. The elected EHP Chairperson and the elected 5 EHP Committee Chairpersons are added to the Steering Committee as from January 2016 onwards. The Committees will determine independently their own internal processes and working modus. The 5 initiating Partners will provide logistic, methodological and editorial support if requested by the Committee.
Then each EHP Committee begins working around 1 specific theme/topic, which will result in an academic publication at the end of the program. The Committees will communicate their ideas via several social media channels throughout the program.
5. How much time should I dedicate to this project?
Participants are required to be available and engage actively in the 4 Plenary Sessions. In between sessions, it is up to each Committee to identify the most suitable working method. Committee participants can meet face-to-face and/or communicate via a wide range of social media and platforms that will be at their disposal.
6. What is the cost for participants?
There is no participation fee for participants. Travel/logistics costs will not be reimbursed.
The European Health Parliament is financially supported by the 5 initiating Partners.
7. More questions?
For more information, please contact us via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org